The lower back is a very important part of the body. It contributes to structural support, movement and the protection of certain body tissues.
It is common for people to experience lower back pain at some point in their lives. Back pain can be minor or serious in nature and can be the result of conditions, like muscle strain, sciatica, a herniated disk, chronic conditions and more.
Although back pain is common, it is also usually easily treatable and there are several exercises you can do at home to help you get relief. Here is a 3-minute routine you can do to help get rid of some of the pain.
- Torso Twists: While standing up, gently rotate your torso from one side to the other.
- Lateral Bend: Stand with feet slightly apart and gently bend your torso from one side to the other starting at the waist. Try to keep hips stationary, and knees slightly bent.
- Alternating Knee Hug: Go down to the floor and bring your knees into your chest one at a time. Your head should be slightly elevated. Use your arms to grasp your knee as it comes into your body.
- Windshield Wiper: Remain on your back and bring both knees into your chest. Then gently rock your body from side to side without touching the floor.
- Double Knee Hug: This is exactly like the windshield wiper except you are using your arms to hug your knees while rocking side to side.
- Half Kneel Twist: For this exercise you will need to get up on your knees keeping one knee on the ground and having the other extended in front of you with your foot on the floor. Grasp the thigh of the leg that is elevated to rotate your torso to one side and hold for 15 seconds. Alternate sides and repeat.
All exercises should be done for a total of 30 seconds each.
After doing this routine, your back should feel much looser and the pain should be minimized if not completely eliminated. Make these stretches a part of your day so you can boost your quality of life.