What You Will Need
- a handful of raw cashews
- quarter cup nutritional yeast
- a pinch of onion and garlic powder
- 2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- ½ cup agar flakes (or 8 teaspoons agar powder)
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 tbsp yellow/white miso
- fresh lemon juice
- white truffle oil (optional)
- chopped chives (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Lightly oil 3-4 small ramekins.
- Using the pulse button, finely grind the cashews in a food processor (do not allow the cashews to turn into a paste). Add the nutritional yeast, onion powder, salt and garlic powder. Gently blend in the spices.
- Combine the soy milk, agar, and oil in a heavy medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Decrease the heat to medium-low. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the agar is dissolved. With the food processor running, gradually pour the milk mixture through the feed tube. Keep going until the mixture is very smooth and creamy. Add remaining ingredients.
- For grated or sliced cheese: Transfer the cheese to a container; cover and refrigerate until it is very firm, about 4 hours. Once it is firm, use a knife to gently remove the cheese from the ramekin. Grate or slice the cheese as desired.
- For melted cheese: Use the cheese immediately. For conservation purposes – refrigerate and heat over boiling water to serve.
- Consume cheese in 4 days