Plank exercises are more popular than ever. From yoga to strength training classes and everything in between, the plank is popping up more and more. And for a good reason! This isometric exercise is good for the body and the soul. It not only strengthens your core, which includes all the muscles of your glutes, lower back, abdominals, and pelvis. It also works your arms and legs! But just how many calories can you burn doing the plank? And is there a right and a wrong way to do it? Let’s find out.
The short answer as to how many calories the plank exercise burns is two to five calories per minute. This figure is based on body weight but also includes metabolism and muscle to fat ratio. Obviously, if you do it for longer than a minute, you’ll burn more calories. A good two-minute plank is a great place to start aiming for. Moreover, once you get comfortable with the basic plank, more advanced options will burn more calories.
And yes. There is a right and a wrong way to do the plank. If you don’t engage all of your abdominal muscles while doing the plank, you could be risking a back injury. Here’s some step by step instructions on how to do a proper plank exercise:
- Start face down on your mat or carpet.
- Lift your midsection so that you are resting on your forearms. Be sure to keep your elbows right under your shoulders.
- Press your thighs and glutes together.
- Then curl your toes and activate your core.
- Lift your knees and keep your back as straight as possible. You should be in a straight line.
- Now you are in position. Look to the floor and hold for as long as you can. Initially, it may be only twenty to thirty seconds. And that’s okay! Once you practice more, you can work up to two minutes.
Are you feeling inspired? Give the plank exercise a try and add it to your fitness routine. You’ll soon see what a world of difference this exercise can make!